Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Blakemore Construction is currently seeking an experienced Shop and Field Heavy Equipment Mechanic. This is a skilled position involving making repairs to and maintaining construction equipment and mechanical equipment such as trucks, dozers, excavators, pavers, rollers and other equipment. You must be well organized and favor safety above everything else.
- To perform mechanical service on company equipment and vehicles in the shop and in the field.
- Perform mechanical work as directed in the shop on heavy construction equipment to correct the problems involved in a timely, effective manner.
- Diagnosing, personally and with the assistance of the Shop Foreman, the special requirements of a piece of equipment; routinely determining what parts and tools will be needed to complete the repairs.
- Perform preventative maintenance of vehicles and equipment including lube oil and filter service.
- Prepare and maintain service records.
- Respond to routine and emergence calls for repairs and services in the field.
- Present to the Shop Foreman an order for parts needed for repairs after completing a thorough diagnosis. Maintaining a record of what has been ordered; following up to make sure when these parts arrive so that work may continue with as little delay as possible.
- Providing personal tools with which to work and taking care of company provided tools, making certain all are in good working condition and safe to work with or operate before using.
- Working safely at all times; complying with all OSHA or other city, county, state or federal regulations when working and for reporting in case of any on job injury; following company safety policies and procedures.
- Maintain a clean work area in, on and around the equipment and the shop.
- Assisting other mechanics as requested and qualified with identifying and correcting problems in equipment on which they are working; being a team player.
- Days and hours of work vary based on job size and job locations. Evening and weekend work is required as job duties demand.
Training & Experience
- Two or more years’ experience in heavy construction equipment repair and maintenance.
- Proven paving experience
- Personal skills must include mechanical ability, analytical thinking and work organization.
- Requires knowledge and understanding of company policies and procedures, heavy construction equipment, repair methods and records.
- High School diploma or equivalent a plus.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Must successfully pass pre-employment drug screen and motor vehicles records check
- A Class B CDL License a plus
- Able to stand, walk, bend, kneel, stoop, crouch, crawl and climb all day
- Able to lift up to 90 pounds
- Requires the following specific types of vision: close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Able to work with moving mechanical parts, high/precarious places, and fumes or airborne particles
- Able to work in extreme heat and extreme cold
- Able to work in moderate to loud work environment