Blakemore Construction is currently seeking an experienced Grading Superintendent with a strong background in heavy highway work. Responsible for providing direct in-field supervision of a crew working on all phases of roadway construction. The Superintendent will manage foreman, crews, equipment, subcontractors and materials on projects assigned to them. The Superintendent is responsible for maintaining and improving the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas of work under their direction and control. The Superintendent serves as the front-line safety officer for the site/project, and is directly responsible for the safety of their crew. In this role the Superintendent will direct their crew in grading/earthwork operations. This is a working superintendent position and the candidate will be expected to operate equipment as needed and should have the ability to fine grade.
- Properly follows company and OSHA safety procedures. Brings problems to the attention of their manager.
- Effectively lead and manage all crew member’s daily activities and production.
- Plan, coordinate and organize people, equipment and materials to promote the safe, efficient and timely construction of all phases of the project.
- Communicate activities and issues with other members of management to coordinate grading/construction activities.
- Ensures drivers and operators are performing routine inspections and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or needed repairs to the shop; keeps equipment/trucks clean and in a professional manner.
- Assists in training lower-level employees performing the maintenance and repair duties as required or assigned.
- Responsible for time card reporting for crew.
- Days and hours of work vary based on job size and job locations. Evening and weekend work is required as job duties demand.
Training & Experience
- Minimum of 4 – 6 years’ experience in heavy highway construction supervision
- OSHA 10 hour required
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Must have a strong safety record
- Must successfully pass pre-employment (post offer) drug screen, background check, motor vehicles records check
- A valid Class A CDL is a plus
- Ability to read drawings, plans and blueprints
- Aptitude in math
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- In-depth knowledge of construction procedures, equipment and OSHA guidelines